Record a task with the Universal Recorder
Use the Universal Recorder to capture a series of interactions (clicks, keystrokes, and mouse movements) with object controls including text boxes, buttons, tables, menus, radio buttons, combo boxes, check boxes, list views, links, trees, and page tabs.
- Configure device display and font scale to 100%.
If you are using Recorder package version 2.0.6-20200626-193519 or later, you can record tasks in Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Java, Microsoft Active Accessibility, and Microsoft UI automation applications on a computer that has display scale configured to 100%, 125%, or 150%.
- If you are automating a task using a browser, configure the zoom level to
If you are using Recorder package version 2.0.6-20200626-193519 or later, you can record tasks in a Google Chrome browser that does not have a zoom level setting of 100%.
- If you are automating a task using a Google Chrome browser, ensure that the Automation Anywhere plug-in that corresponds with the Automation 360 build version is enabled.
- Use clicks when possible rather than shortcut keys.
When you click an object using the Recorder, it retrieves the object's properties that enable the bot to identify the object at runtime. Keyboard shortcuts are less reliable, so use them when it is not possible to automate the task by a clicking an object.
- If you are automating a task using a browser, do not use autofill to enter values into fields.
- Record the task at low speed.
- Avoid dragging windows during the recording process.
- Avoid clicking on applications that are not part of the process you are recording and automating.
- When Internet Explorer is used, the action waits until the browser is completely rendered and is in a ready state before executing the action.
To record a task using the Universal Recorder, follow these steps:
- Create a new bot or open an existing bot for which you want to record a task.
Click Start recording.
Note: In versions 2.0.9-20201105-164103 and later, the Recorder package contains both the Universal Recorder and AISense Recorder.The Automation Anywhere Recorder window appears.
Select a window from the drop-down list.
If you opened an application recently and it is not available in the list, click the Refresh icon.
- Click Universal Recorder.
Perform the steps in the task. For example, click buttons, fill in forms, or
search a website.
To perform an action on an object, move the mouse pointer on that object. The object is highlighted with a box. If the box does not appear, verify that you have enabled the necessary plug-in. For more information, see Universal Recorder supported applications and browsers.The Recorder window contains the number of operations recorded and a description of the most recently captured object. For example, 5. Left click on button 'Submit'.To redo the previous object capture, click the Delete icon at the bottom right of the Recorder window to discard the most recent capture.If Secure recording mode is enabled, a shield icon appears to the right of the red recording icon.
Click Finish after you finish capturing all the
A Capture action is generated for each operation.Where applicable, the Recorder generates variables. Your variables (user-defined)
- Edit the actions or click Save.