Using the Open action for Excel basic
Use the Open action to open a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet with .xlsx extension. This action enables you to specify whether to open the spreadsheet in read-only mode or read-write mode, a password to open the spreadsheet, and so on.
To open a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, do the following:
- Double-click or drag the Open action from the Excel basic package in the Actions palette.
Select from where you want to open the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet:
Note: The Excel basic package supports files that are a maximum size of 30 MB.
- Control Room file: Enables you to open a file from the Control Room.
- Desktop file: Enables you to open a file from the device. This field also accepts the file path input as a string variable or global value.
- Variable: Enables you to open a file by specifying a file variable.
- Select the Sheet contains a header check box if the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet contains a header row.
- Select the Specific sheet name option and specify the name of the sheet to activate when the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet opens.
- Select Read-only mode or Read-write mode to open the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet in read-only or edit mode respectively.
- Select the Password is required check box if a password is required to open the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
Select any of the following tabs to create an Excel session:
Note: When you use more than one spreadsheet to automate an operation, you must use different session names for each spreadsheet. If you want to use the same session name to automate all the spreadsheets, you must first close the session of one spreadsheet before using the same session name for another spreadsheet.
- Local session: Specify a session name that can be used only in the current bot.
- Global session: Specify a session name that can
be used across multiple bots, such as parent bots, child bots, and other child bots of the parent bots.
You can also use the Global session option to loop through each row in an Excel advanced worksheet.Note: You can open an Excel worksheet by using the Global session option and use it across multiple bots without having to share the session by using the Set session variable action.You can also close the session from the child bot when you are using the Global session option and sharing the session across child bots.Important: If you close the session from the child bot and run the parent bot, then in the parent bot, the actions that come after the child bot are not run, and the bot fails with an error because the session has already been closed from the child bot.
- Variable: Specify a session variable that can be used to share that session with other child bots.
- Enter the name of the session in the Session name field.
- Click Save.