Using Capture window action
Use the Capture window action of the Screen package to capture an open application window.
To capture an application window, perform these steps:
- In the Actions palette, double-click or drag the Capture window action from the Screen package.
Specify the window in which to capture an object.
Choose from the Application, Browser, or Variable tab.
Option Description Application Select from a list of currently active windows. This option shows a list of all the application and browser windows that are open on the Bot Creator device. Browser Select from a list of supported browser tabs.Note: This option supports Google Chrome, Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer browsers. For all other browsers, use the Application option. Variable Select an existing window variable to specify the title of the application window title.
Insert a wildcard character (*) in the
Window title field to search for window titles that can
change. You can specify one or more wildcards (*) at the start, middle, or end of
For example, to perform an operation on any window that has Microsoft in the title, use a wildcard to indicate any string by adding it before or after the value: *Microsoft*. The bot first searches for the exact window title (Microsoft), and if it does not find a match, it searches for windows with the term Microsoft anywhere in the title.
You can use a regular expression (regex) to identify a window title. Select the regular expression either as a String or Pattern for each regular expression condition and enter the value. By default, the Window title field is case-sensitive. You can enable Case insensitive regex flag to identify a window title that is not case-sensitive.
For example, you can enter the String value as ((\w*)-Notepad for all the window title names starting with
((\w*)-Notepad, or use Pattern such as ((\w)\s)*document-Notepad for only those window titles that match this pattern.Note: During runtime, verify that the TaskBot identifies the correct window. If it does not, do the following:
- Open the application or browser window.
- Drag a action above the action.
- Insert a string variable into the Assign the window title to variable field.
- Drag a action below the action.
- In the Window field, insert the window variable generated by the action.
- In the New window title field, insert the string variable from the Get active window title action.
- Click Save.
Select the Resize window option to specify the window
This option delivers a more reliable bot. It resizes the window to the dimensions at which the task was recorded, which enhances the ability of the botto identify the target object.
Note: This option is available only for windows that can be resized. It is not available for the Desktop or Taskbar options.
- If the window is maximized when you record the task, this option is not selected.
- If the window is not at the maximum size when you record the task, this option is selected, by default, and the width and height fields are automatically filled with the dimensions of the window.
Browse to select the File path to save image.
The following file extensions are supported: png, bmp, jpeg, tiff, gif, and wmf.
- Click Overwrite file to replace an existing file with the same name.
- Click Save.