Excel basic package
The Excel basic package contains actions that enable you to automate many of the repetitive tasks in XLSX workbooks. You use these actions when Microsoft Excel is not available on the device that you want to use to automate Microsoft Excel-related tasks.
Choosing the Excel package in Automation 360
Automation 360 includes packages to support three types of Microsoft Excel usage. For optimal results, use the package that corresponds to the type of Excel that is available on the device you are running bots on.
- No Excel installed: If you do not have Microsoft Excel installed on the device on which you are running bots to automate Excel-related processes, use the Excel basic package.
- Desktop Excel installed: If you have a desktop version of Microsoft Excel installed on your computer, use the Excel advanced package in your bots.
- Online Office 365 Excel only: If you are using Microsoft Excel 365 on a web browser, use the Office 365 Excel package for automating tasks related to Excel.
To learn more, search for the Automating Excel Workbooks course in Automation Anywhere University: RPA Training and Certification (A-People login required).
Before you start
- Open the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that you want to read data from using
action.Note: The Excel basic package supports files that are a maximum size of 30 MB.
You must associate the details of the file you want to use with a session name, and use the session name in the other actions in the Excel basic package, so that you do not have to provide the details of the file in those actions again.
- Use the different actions available in the Excel basic package to automate the Microsoft Excel-related tasks.
- After you have automated all the Microsoft Excel-related tasks, close the spreadsheet using the Close action.
Actions in the Excel basic package
The Excel basic package includes the following actions:
|Switch to sheet||Switches to another sheet in a Microsoft Excel file.
|Close||Closes the current workbook and provides an option to
Save changes when closing the
the name of the session used to open the workbook
with the Open
Note: This action terminates the process for the session.
|Delete cell||Deletes the Active cell or a
Specific cell from the current
|Find||See Using Find action.|
|Get cell address||Retrieves the location of the active cell and stores it to a
|Get column name||Retrieves the letter value of the column of the active or
specific cell and stores it to a string variable.|