Install RPA Bots for Excel (on-premises)
Install RPA Bots for Excel on-premises by installing the executable and manifest files. RPA Bots for Excel is supported on Automation Anywhere Enterprise 11.3.2.x or later and Automation 360 on a dedicated server or a cloud service provider server instance.
- Recommended: SSL certificate on the Integration server.
The Integration Server supports only globally authorized CA-signed SSL certificate and Intermediate Level certificate (Self-signed certificate is not recommended). The certificate must be supported by Internet Explorer or Edge of the users' machine. Otherwise, the certificate must be imported to the corresponding servers and users' machines.
- Optional: SSL certificate on the Control Room.When the Enterprise-signed SSL certificate is used to authenticate with the Control Room, the Root and Intermediate Level certificates must be converted to PEM format and specified in the config.json file of the Integration Server. To convert the SSL certificate to the PEM format, OpenSSL can be used. To convert the certificate extensions to PEM format, enter the code listed in the following table in your OpenSSL client:
Certificate extension OpenSSL client Convert CRT to PEM format
openssl x509 -in cert.crt -out cert.pem
Convert CER to PEM format
openssl x509 -in cert.cer -out cert.pem
Convert DER to PEM format
openssl x509 -in cert.der -out cert.pem
- Executable file: AuomationAnywhereOfficePlugins.exe
The on-premise manifest file (Automation Anywhere RPA Bots for Excel.xml) is included in the AuomationAnywhereOfficePlugins.exe file.
The IT admin downloads the installation file from the A-People downloads page and runs the Automation Anywhere RPA Bots for Microsoft Office installation wizard on the dedicated server. The on-premise manifest file is preconfigured and available for deployment to all users in your organization.
The installation files are saved infolder. The on-premise manifest file is saved in the folder. Upon the installation of the Integration server, the manifest file will be generated. IT Admin can deploy the plug-in to the entire organization.
- From the OfficePlugins folder, download the AutomationAnywhereOfficePlugins.exe file.
Open the installation file.
The Automation Anywhere RPA Bots for Microsoft Office InstallShield wizard appears.
- Click Next to start the installer wizard.
- In the License Agreement window, accept the license agreement and click Next.
Enter the URL address of the Integration server.
Ensure the URL address has an HTTPS prefix.
Enter the port number you want to use to connect to the server in the
Port number field and click
By default, the port number is set to 5512.
In the Server Certificate window, perform these steps:
- Click Browse to locate the SSL certificate and select the certification.
Enter the password of the certificate in the Private Key
The certificate is password-protected.
- Click Next.
In the Ready to Install the Program window, click
Install to run the installer.
The InstallShield Wizard Completed window appears when the installation is completed.
- Click Finish to exit the wizard.
For users with Enterprise-signed SSL certificate on the Control Room. Perform the following steps to edit the certificate
details and save the Root and Intermediate Level certificates (.PEM format) in
the dist folder.
The Root and Intermediate level certificates must be converted to PEM format prior to saving the certificates in the dist folder.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Automation Anywhere\OfficePlugins\IntegrationServer\dist.
- Open the config.json file in Notepad.
- Enter false for the AcceptSelfSignedCertificate setting.
For the IntermediateCertificates setting, enter
all the file paths to save the Intermediate certificates in the
For example, enter the following:
C:\Program Files\Automation Anywhere\OfficePlugins\IntegrationServer\dist\Root_Certificate.pem
C:\Program Files\Automation Anywhere\OfficePlugins\IntegrationServer\dist\Intermediate_Certificate.pem
- Save the config.json file.
- Restart the Window service.
Verify that the plug-in is installed correctly by checking the Windows services
or by browsing the URL in the address bar.
- To locate the service name:
- Select .
- Scroll through the list to locate the Automation Anywhere RPA Add-on
Server for Office Plugin service name.
Note the Status. If the plug-in is installed correctly, the status displays as Running.
- To verify the status through a browser window, enter the server URL
address in this format in the address bar: https://[server
url]:[port]/ServerStatus (that is, https://excel.my-server.com:5512/ServerStatus).
If the plug-in is installed correctly, the status appears as AAE Relay Server is alive.
- To locate the service name: